Local Author to Appear at Kingston Public Library
Kingston, Tennessee, May 12, 2014. Local author Dr. Timothy Joseph will speak about his new book, "My Water Path," and the art of writing at the Kingston Public Library on Thursday, May 22 at 6:00 p.m. Admission is free, and light refreshments will be served. Advance copies of "My Water Path," scheduled for a June release, will be available for purchase along with copies of some of Joseph's previous works.
"My Water Path" is a heart-warming, deeply emotional story that takes place in the South during the 1950s - a tumultuous time and place of rampant racial prejudice. The story centers on an eleven-year-old boy named Jory who, having lost his remaining parent, runs away from a life doomed to foster care and tries to make it on his own, living on the Mississippi River like Huckleberry Finn. An old black man called Moses rescues the boy from the river during a violent storm, then takes him in and raises him as one of his own. The story follows Jory's life under the care of his new family and his struggles to make sense of the society in which he lives.
"This novel grew out of my own youth in the South," Joseph said. "I grew up with prejudice and bigotry all around me, yet even as a child, I could not comprehend it."
Joseph's previous works include the novel "Four-Fifths, winner of the Atlanta WordWeaver Award of Excellence, its sequel "Four-Fifths Endowed," and the nonfiction "Historical Photos of the Manhattan Project."
An accomplished speaker, Joseph is a former science teacher, professor, and researcher. He is an active member of the Roane Writers Group, the Authors Guild of Tennessee and the Arts Council of Roane County. He volunteers his time as mentor, and shares his love of writing and his experiences as a writer by offering entertaining programs on Creative Writing at area clubs, organizations and high schools.
For more information on Joseph visit (link...).
Other RoaneViews blogs
- King Henry throws out first pitch (mushy)
- Don't miss the last day of the Tennessee Medieval Faire (mushy)
- Tennessee Medieval Faire - Saturday and Sunday (mushy)
- Jousting three weekends at The Tennessee Medieval Faire! (mushy)
- Lots to do in Harriman this week and weekend! (mushy)
- Janelle Arthur coming May 8th! (mushy)
- The Headhunters want to know... (mushy)
- Ever dream of being in the movies? (mushy)
- Come Support The Talent Show Friday At 6PM! (mushy)
- 2nd Annual Multi-County Talent Show Deadline looms (mushy)