At yesterday's Solid Waste Committee metting, the Midtown landfill was once again discussed. The members acknowledged that the County Commission had put the cart before the horse by setting aside the money for the permit of the landfill, along with money to engineer it. However, the committee voted to allow the commission to continue that work.
The Solid Waste Committee then, before allowing any discussion from those that attended, voted to have County Executive Mike Farmer, and County Attorney Tom McFarland do a "study" on whether or not it would be more beneficial to the county if they opened the landfill to store coal ash, or left the coal ash where it was at.
Ok people, here's the real deal. And I have said this many times. Our County Commissioners would like nothing better than to let dump trucks come out of the steam plant, turn up beside Bob's Burgers, and dump as much coal ash in a new landfill as it would hold. That idea has never been taken off of the table. Yes, we hear things like "It isn't even being considered, at this time", or "Roane County is not an option, at this time". You have to just love those three words "at this time". Now add that other word; "study"'
This isn't over. If more people do not get involved, they will vote to take one disaster and turn it into another. Some may ask what other disaster. How about when you here that someone we know has been killed involving an accident with one of the trucks.
After the committee passed their "study", they opened the floor for comments. Several spoke against the idea of coal ash in a landfill. All who attended was against the landfill, Some were angry and disappointed that the committee would even consider a study involving coal ash. But, once again, our elected officials and appointed officials refuse to do what the people want. This is about money, plain and simple. They do not seem to care about the health and safety concerns of Roane County citizens. And if we don't start having more than just the same ones showing up at these meetings and speaking, these commissions, councils, and committees are going to think we few are the only ones that want to fight this. I am asking everyone who reads this post to get involved. Make calls. Attend meetings. Speak out loudly. We need one another's help on this. And we had better act quickly. Time is runnung out on this one.
Other RoaneViews blogs
- Clean Water Made From Coal Ash (mushy)
- The Kentucky Headhunters are coming back! (mushy)
- FYI: Rocky Top Markets to stop accepting Kroger fuel points (ConcernedCitizen)
- First movie at the Princess in 15 years! (mushy)
- Dr. Eric Littleton's Christmas show scheduled for Dec. 19th at the Princess (mushy)
- The Princess makes the news again! (mushy)
- Valtentine's Murder Mystery at Jamison Development Center (mushy)
- Tina Turner, Dolly Parton, and Johnny Cash at the Princess Thursday! (mushy)
- Emery Francis To Open For EmiSunshine Tonight! (mushy)
- Kingston Mayor-Duncan/Kirkham re-zoning (chelsea)