Funny that this is a GOP Rep getting quoted since the GOP is the biggest player in taking away the effective power of our local school boards and civic bodies. Perhaps even R's are beginning to see that turning over our government to corporations is not really a good idea in the long run.
This particular instance has a large pet supply corporation wanting to eliminate cities and counties ability to regulate pet stores. Much fewer people to
bribe contribute campaign money to.
Rep. Bob Ramsey, R-Maryville, who sponsored the Blount County exemption amendment, said the legislature in recent years has adopted 40 laws taking authority away from local governments in one way or another and “this is another loss of self-government.”
Rep. Eddie Smith, R-Knoxville, who failed in an effort to exempt Knox County, declared “we are neutering our locals.”
Other RoaneViews blogs
- 2017 Princess Idols Announced (mushy)
- Do Not Privatize Fall Creek Falls (robmtchl)
- Tennessee Medieval Faire - 3 BIG days - Memorial Day weekend! (mushy)
- Darren York - New Princess manager (mushy)
- "An Evening of Remembrance" - Black History Month Event (mushy)
- Last Two Movie Nights In 2015 (mushy)
- Babahatchie Community Band Tonight At The Princess (mushy)
- Forth Annual Dr. Eric Littleton Christmas Concert (mushy)
- The "Last Dance" was great! (mushy)
- GRAND PREES "Last Dance" - August 15th - Princess Theatre (mushy)