Valentine's Day originally was probably around May 3, having its roots in a Chaucerian scribbling to celebrate the arranged by treaty wedding of King Richard II of England to Anne of Bohemia.
The February holiday's roots are in the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, a fertility celebration commemorated annually on February 15. Pope Gelasius I recast this pagan festival as a Christian feast day circa 496, declaring February 14 to be St. Valentine's Day.
Regardless, I hope everyone has a wonderful St. Valentine's Day!
Other RoaneViews blogs
- Do Not Privatize Fall Creek Falls (robmtchl)
- Tennessee Medieval Faire - 3 BIG days - Memorial Day weekend! (mushy)
- Darren York - New Princess manager (mushy)
- "An Evening of Remembrance" - Black History Month Event (mushy)
- Last Two Movie Nights In 2015 (mushy)
- Babahatchie Community Band Tonight At The Princess (mushy)
- Forth Annual Dr. Eric Littleton Christmas Concert (mushy)
- The "Last Dance" was great! (mushy)
- GRAND PREES "Last Dance" - August 15th - Princess Theatre (mushy)
- WWII Reenactment at the Secret City Festival (mushy)