Roane County School Board (RCSB) meeting reveals the truth about the request made in an amendment rejected by the County Commission (CC). In a clear and concise presentation by the RCSB Financial Director, the funds requested to pay for (see below) in an amendment request WOULD NOT HAVE RESULTED in a Tax increase nor any funds from the County.
The RCSB funds were requested from the School's fund balance which is approximately 10% (State requires 3% fund balance). The Commission, under the direction of the Budget Committee and the County Executive Woody, lead the commission (and public) to believe there would be an added tax burden on the County. THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION.
The Schools simply asked to move $ from their own fund balance. In an effort to meet the expenses, the RCSB agreed to take $ from another line item (salaries).
Two years ago, County Ex Woody did not want to fund school buses and demanded the schools use their fund balance. Now, County Ex Woody leads the commission to not use their fund balance. Why?
NOW FOR THE JUICY PART: When Cnty Ex Woody was the finance director of RCSB, he requested numerous Amendments, including one in the range of $500,000.
Never in the history of one RCSB member's 28 years of serving has a Budget Amendment been denied, to his memory.
This is down right pathetic!
Blount County just got a huge employer to commit to Blount county delivering 500 Tech jobs with an avg salary of $100,000/annually. Our County has the opportunties yet without the support of our politicians to to support our schools, we will end up in a very unfavorable light for potential employers. Think about it...who wants to move their family to Roane County, open a huge business here, when the CC, under the direction of Cnty Ex Woody fights every effort made by the Financial Director and Director of Schools.
Something needs to change and it is not the RCSB.
Wish Cnty Ex Woody had the nerve to show up at the RCSB meeting. That would have been the appropriate thing for he and the no voters to do.
Courage to lead includes communicating the real facts, not fictional implications due to a personal agenda.
There you go...Damon has it all on his recorder; will be interesting to read the article.
We are SUNK without our schools being #1 and our RCSB has been very fiscally responsible.
Other RoaneViews blogs
- Clean Water Made From Coal Ash (mushy)
- The Kentucky Headhunters are coming back! (mushy)
- FYI: Rocky Top Markets to stop accepting Kroger fuel points (ConcernedCitizen)
- First movie at the Princess in 15 years! (mushy)
- Dr. Eric Littleton's Christmas show scheduled for Dec. 19th at the Princess (mushy)
- The Princess makes the news again! (mushy)
- Valtentine's Murder Mystery at Jamison Development Center (mushy)
- Tina Turner, Dolly Parton, and Johnny Cash at the Princess Thursday! (mushy)
- Emery Francis To Open For EmiSunshine Tonight! (mushy)
- Kingston Mayor-Duncan/Kirkham re-zoning (chelsea)