With a water bill for the Roane County jail running over $20,000 in a single month, there should be ample areas for cost cutting to fund this job adequately.
Roane County Executive Director Ron Woody says he only has "in the low thirties" to pay someone for this important position. A quick check of salary ranges around the country show that to be below the minimum range reported by most municipalities:
"As of June 1 2011, salary data for parks and recreation directors in all industries ranged from $32,511 to $88,014, with bonuses ranging from about $200 to $20,000. For the 27 percent of female directors, salaries ranged from $39,582 - $58,000, while salaries for males averaged as high as $69,998."
Along with good schools, parks and recreation rank among the top reasons businesses locate in an area. A well functioning parks program is essential to the livability of a community. Find the money and let's get a qualified and competent person for this important position in our county.
Other RoaneViews blogs
- GRAND PREES "Last Dance" - August 15th - Princess Theatre (mushy)
- WWII Reenactment at the Secret City Festival (mushy)
- The three-in-one concert Saturday was great! (mushy)
- King Henry throws out first pitch (mushy)
- Don't miss the last day of the Tennessee Medieval Faire (mushy)
- Tennessee Medieval Faire - Saturday and Sunday (mushy)
- Jousting three weekends at The Tennessee Medieval Faire! (mushy)
- Lots to do in Harriman this week and weekend! (mushy)
- Janelle Arthur coming May 8th! (mushy)
- The Headhunters want to know... (mushy)