Holding dual roles at different levels of government has some advantages, Beets said. Often the challenges faced by the county and the city are interconnected. Having a perspective at both levels makes it easier to understand complex issues, he said.
Roane County executive Woody agreed that there are positive aspects to holding multiple offices.
Knowledge of the subject matter and the motivation of the elected official are important factors in good political decision-making, he said.
"The people with the most knowledge of the situation usually make the best decisions," he said.
The flip side is that people with the wrong motivation can use their knowledge for the wrong purposes, Woody said.
According to Beets the specific responsibilities of the positions are important to consider, Kingston has a "weak mayor" by description of the city charter, he said.
Other RoaneViews blogs
- Ever dream of being in the movies? (mushy)
- Come Support The Talent Show Friday At 6PM! (mushy)
- 2nd Annual Multi-County Talent Show Deadline looms (mushy)
- Comment on the Kingston Coal Ash Landfill (bswinford1)
- Headhunter Tickets On Sale (mushy)
- Clean Water Made From Coal Ash (mushy)
- The Kentucky Headhunters are coming back! (mushy)
- FYI: Rocky Top Markets to stop accepting Kroger fuel points (ConcernedCitizen)
- First movie at the Princess in 15 years! (mushy)
- Dr. Eric Littleton's Christmas show scheduled for Dec. 19th at the Princess (mushy)