Holding dual roles at different levels of government has some advantages, Beets said. Often the challenges faced by the county and the city are interconnected. Having a perspective at both levels makes it easier to understand complex issues, he said.
Roane County executive Woody agreed that there are positive aspects to holding multiple offices.
Knowledge of the subject matter and the motivation of the elected official are important factors in good political decision-making, he said.
"The people with the most knowledge of the situation usually make the best decisions," he said.
The flip side is that people with the wrong motivation can use their knowledge for the wrong purposes, Woody said.
According to Beets the specific responsibilities of the positions are important to consider, Kingston has a "weak mayor" by description of the city charter, he said.
Other RoaneViews blogs
- Don't miss the last day of the Tennessee Medieval Faire (mushy)
- Tennessee Medieval Faire - Saturday and Sunday (mushy)
- Jousting three weekends at The Tennessee Medieval Faire! (mushy)
- Lots to do in Harriman this week and weekend! (mushy)
- Janelle Arthur coming May 8th! (mushy)
- The Headhunters want to know... (mushy)
- Ever dream of being in the movies? (mushy)
- Come Support The Talent Show Friday At 6PM! (mushy)
- 2nd Annual Multi-County Talent Show Deadline looms (mushy)
- Comment on the Kingston Coal Ash Landfill (bswinford1)